Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Memories of the nose

I think everyone has certain memories that are evoked by certain smells. The smell of cookies in the oven, or the smell of pipe tobacco for some remind them of visits to the grandparents. For others a certain cologne or shampoo might remind them of their first love.
There are so many smells that bring back memories for me. The smell of snow on a mild sunny day makes me think of going out for recess in elementary school. The smell of soap and fabric softener reminds me of hugging my friend Dan who always seemed to have just gotten out of the shower and right into freshly washed clothes just before I saw him. Sometimes I'll smell something that reminds me of the barracks at cadet camps
There is one cologne, and I have no idea what it is, but every once in a while I'll walk past someone and get a whiff and it takes me right back to my first kiss.
There are several other smells that I associate with other boyfriends from my past but this one sticks out the most, maybe because it's the one that eludes me. Every time I smell it I am so tempted to sniff everyone around so I can find out what it is.
 I'm not sure if this is the reason why I tend to notice if people smell good or not soon after I meet them , It's become one of the things I look for in a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment